Today, we finished the electric motors. All but just a few of groups had their motors running before the end of class today. Compared to the motor kits that I’ve used in the past, I found that these kits lead to better analysis and, therefore understanding, of how the electric motor works. For example, the various components of the motor are arranged such that students can access the spaces between to test polarity of the armature as it rotates. In addition, I think it is great that students are hammering, screwing, and soldering – activities that don’t occur enough in physics class.
Here’s the first pair who got their motor running: